INSPIRATION FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Beat Holiday Stress with Breath and Massage
Take a deep breath. No, really... stop for a moment and just take a deep breath. During the holiday season, so many of us are running around at a hectic pace doing everything for everyone excpet for ourselves. When was the last time you just took a moment for yourself to relax? Its safe now. No one's looking. Take a deep breath.
Deep breathing can be the source of profound relaxation and it doesn't have to take any time at all. You can do it at your desk. You can do it in your car. You can do it at the dinner table. You can do it right now.
- Find a comfortable sitting position
- Close your eyes or keep them at a soft gaze at nothing in particular (eyes open, of course, if you are driving)
- Inhale through your nose to a count of four
- Exhale through your nose to a count of eight
- Repeat the breath five times
- Open your eyes and breathe normally and feel how your body and mind have shifted
It is no coincidence that the word inspire means both to breathe in and to fill with a special feeling. How do you feel when you take a few moments to inspire? Do you feel inspired? I know I do!
Many people release tension with long, deep and releasing breaths when they receive massage. Its part of what's so relaxing about massage. So if you find yourself needing to turn off the stress of the season, a massage right about now is a wonderful idea. And if you just cant find the time for that, stop for a moment and take a breath. No one's looking.